In order to use BikeSignUp, your browser must accept cookies. Otherwise, you will not be able to register for races or use other functionality of the website. However, your browser doesn't appear to allow cookies by default.
If you still see this message after clicking the link, then your browser settings are likely set to not allow cookies. Please try enabling cookies. You can find instructions at https://www.whatismybrowser.com/guides/how-to-enable-cookies/auto.
If you're not yet registered and looking for general information on the ride, please skip ahead to the DESCRIPTION section below.
Here is important information for registered riders.
IMPORTANT: You must read and sign the Liability Waiver and COVID-19 Compliance Plan and Health Screen Questionnaire the night before you ride!
Covid-19 safe FUN is planned for the ride day, as well as the week before. Visit our ride's Facebook page for information about all things FUN, including clues for a prize incentivized scavenger hunt, a costume contest, and more! FUN photos found here #SCSunriseRotaryRide2020.
The One Day Wonder commences at 7:00 am at your front door or Twin Lakes Church, if more convenient. Three minimally supported route alternatives with varying degrees of difficulty have been carefully planned for you to choose from. However, if you prefer, you may choose your own route to be completed before or on October 3rd (the virtual ride option).
Restroom and water stops are noted on the maps with social distanced and COVID-safe limited support provided during the following times:
Twin Lakes Church: 6:30am - 9:00am Jacob's Heart: 7:30am - 10:30am
Truman's Home: 10:00am - 2:00pm Nethercutt's Home: 12:00p - 5:00p
Plan on finishing your ride by 5pm so you have time to get home and showered in time for the epic Zoom Virtual Post-Ride Party. Details here on Facebook or directly register for the party at http://Party.SunriseRotaryRide.org.
To protect all riders and crew, a COVID-19 Ride Compliance Plan based on the best medical advice has been developed. All riders are required to adhere to the guidelines set forth in the plan. The waiver, compliance plan and health questionnaire must be signed the night before your ride.
The Santa Cruz Sunrise Rotary Ride, now in its 23rd year, is a fun fundraising event like no other. Proceeds go to local organizations serving the youth in our community. The Rotary Ride consists of a 3 day fully supported 200 mile ride culminating at a festive Finish Line Party featuring music, food, fun and friends.
SPECIAL NOTICE REGARDING THE EFFECT OF COVID-19 ON THE ROTARY RIDE
In a nutshell...
- The 3-Day ride has unfortunately been cancelled. HOWEVER, we are still riding on Oct 3rd in the epic new One Day Wonder!
- Anyone who pre-registered up for the 2020 Ride was automatically Pre-Registered for the triumphant return of the Jon & Ken's Excellent Adventure 3-Day Rotary Ride in 2021 with any paid 2020 registration fees automatically rolling over to 2021.
- The 2021 ride will be held on Sept 30, Oct 1, 2, 2021
- There is no registration fee for riding in this year's One Day Wonder ride. But all riders must be registered! And, we want to encourage all riders to create their personal fundraising page and raise funds for our 2020 beneficiaries, who need our help now more than every.
In this year of massive upheaval and constant change we have been hanging on in the hopes that we might be able to still pull off our epic 2020 three-day ride as planned. We have been meeting regularly and taking in all the input from various expert sources including public health, medical and sports organizations. Alas, we have finally had to accept that no matter how we adapted it, the traditional 3 day ride would not be a feasible and responsible option for October of this year.
However, we know that we must continue to support our local non-profits now more than ever and have come up with an alternate experience to be known as:
The Rotary Ride 2020 One Day Wonder!
For those of you worried about riding and events in general, we want to assure you that our committee of over 20 volunteers is working tirelessly to make this year’s One Day Wonder ride safe and fun. We even have a sub-committee of medical professionals who are overseeing every detail and decision and ensuring that we are doing everything possible to reduce the risk of disease transmission while designing a super fun bike event.
Each sub-committee is meeting weekly to work on their component of the ride, reporting back to the larger committee and the medical team and we expect to have many more details out to you within the next few weeks.
What we can tell you right now about The Rotary Ride 2020 – One Day Wonder is this:
- It will be held on Saturday October 3rd, 2020
- It will consist of 3 ride levels (mileage and difficulty) all with overlapping sections
- We will have rest stops WITH BATHROOMS and some level of sag support
- It will be as safe as we can possibly make it, but of course in compliance with all safety and health guidelines and regulations
- It will be a huge amount of fun (The Fun Committee is cooking up all sorts of challenges and activities)
- We are planning for some form of finish line gathering (safe) and possibly a Friday night rider’s event
- We will have contingency plans for the potential “state of the pandemic” come October
- We encourage everyone to continue fundraising, but understand that this may be a difficult year for some – so no minimum fundraising (or max!!! 😊 )
We understand that many people are in different places due to the events of 2020 so far, and we want to accommodate for as many situations as possible. We have therefore come up with several options for you, explained below. More options can make things confusing, so we tried to create a FAQ section, but if you have any more questions please don’t hesitate to call or text MARY ALSIP, 831 566 8930. Mary has NOTHING to do and welcomes all phone calls!!
The 3-day Jon and Ken’s Most Excellent Adventure is really that – a MOST EXCELLENT adventure! … the magic of the hot tub on Day 1, the splendor of day 2 and the incredible excitement of Day 3 and the finish line party.
Please note that while we will be offering a FANTASTIC, (some may say Epic), One Day ride for 2020, we also needed to keep the MAGIC ALIVE for 2021, so, in the interest of magnanimous and noble generosity to you, we are rolling over your current registration monies to be applied to the 2021 3-Day event. (ie: Let it Ride!)
And, because we simply love and miss you all so much, we are offering you an absolutely FREE registration into the 2020 One Day Wonder ride!
Please note, that all of your registration funds paid to-date are simply applied to 2021. You do not have to do a thing except complete your free registration for this year's One Day Wonder ride. And, once 2021 registration opens in the fall, complete your registration for next year's Rotary Ride with any pre-paid 2020 registration fees applied.
Wait - 2 rides for the price of one? – Wow! What a deal! What’s the catch? - All we are asking is that you bring all your usual energy and enthusiasm and help us achieve our mission of creating a fantastic FUNdraiser for our beneficiaries in 2020!
Again, to make sure everyone is taken care of, we offer these 2 options:
Option #1 - “Let it Ride” – YOU DO NOTHING NOW, and we will automatically roll over the entire REGISTRATION amount you have already paid for 2020 to be fully applied to 2021. This entitles you to the same early bird discount that you received in 2020, and, more importantly, reserves your spot on the famous 3-Day Rotary Ride 2021 which always sells out early. (Sept 30, Oct 1, Oct 2, 2021):
- You ALSO get free registration to the Rotary Ride 2020 – One Day Wonder Oct 3, 2020.
- You MUST complete your registration here and set up your personal fundraising page.
Option #2 - You cannot do either of the rides:
- You can let your registration amounts go to support our ride recipients including Jacobs Heart – fully tax deductible
- You can request a refund of your FULL registration in full. Call or text Mary Alsip, 831 566 8930.
Here are the answers to some questions you might have
- What if I “let it ride” and roll over my 2020 Registration to 2021 and then we still can’t do a 3 day ride in Early October 2021 due to Covid restrictions? We will do as we have done this year and offer a one-day ride option on October 2nd 2021 that you will be registered for. Lots TDB depending on Covid!! We can’t really think that far ahead.
- What if we are back under restrictive shelter-in-place orders again this October? We desperately hope that we will be able to do an actual ride socially distanced, but together, this year. However, if not feasible, we are working on several virtual ride options that we can share more info about shortly.
- What if I want to do the 3-day ride this year? Go for it!! We hope that as individual groups you could support the Inn at the Tides in Bodega Bay and take in the amazing scenery of the traditional 3 day ride. We have, however, cancelled the group hotel reservations for this year?
- What happens to my current fundraised monies for 2020? Any and all of the monies you have already fundraised will be counted as a 2020 contribution to this year’s charities.
- Can I still Fundraise in 2020? I really want to support our hard-hit charities in 2020. We were hoping you would say that! Obviously, charities this year, as most of us, are seriously struggling financially. We hope you will continue to fundraise, even go that extra mile, to contribute to this year’s charities.
- I have so many friends that have always wanted to do the 3-Day, but just couldn’t commit that much time. Can my friend do the Rotary Ride 2020 – One Day Wonder? In the interest of safety, right now the answer is NO, however, please call Mary 831 566 8930 for exceptions.
Three routes with varying degrees of difficulty are offered for the One Day Wonder. They are:
- Social Loop: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/33204772 (PDF version)
34 miles, 1,600 feet of climbing
Features: hits all the south county rest stops, generally flat
- Mountain Route: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/33204657 (PDF Version)
43 miles, 3,300 feet of climbing
Features: Very little traffic, mountain roads with lots of trees, high speed descent down Soquel-San Jose road
- 100K: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/33204722 (PDF Version)
61 miles, 4,000 feet of climbing
Features: Incorporates the best features from both rides
BACKGROUND INFORMATON ON THE Sunrise Rotary Ride - Jon & Ken's Most Excellent Adventure
Over the years we've raised more than $750,000 for local organizations! Each year we choose a primary beneficiary to receive the largest percentage of the ride proceeds. This year we're excited to announce that Jacob's Heart Children's Cancer Support Services will again be our number one. In addition, we proudly support the following additional organizations and causes: CASA of Santa Cruz County, Second Harvest Food Bank of Santa Cruz County, Shared Adventures as well as the Sunrise Rotary Club's Charities and Grants and High School Youth Scholarship programs.
The Sunrise Rotary Ride, aka, Jon & Ken's Most Excellent Adventure
In 1997 Jon Sisk and Ken Whiting created a biking fundraiser that over the years grown into our current 3 day adventure. Our ride begins in the heart of the wine country in Healdsburg and takes us through the beauty of the Russian River, Sonoma Coast, Bodega Bay, Tomales Bay, to San Francisco, over the Golden Gate Bridge and down the coast to Santa Cruz. No large riding experience is needed, only a love for our beautiful state and a desire to have some fun while supporting youth in our community.
The ride is exceptionally well supported including all food, lodging, medical and sag. You can rest assured that you will be able to enjoy every bit of every day, while you do the ride that you want to do. The route incorporates rolling hills, some optional steeper hills, remote seaside riding and in-town riding. More seasoned riders can find great challenges each day, while entry level riders can build their experience and achieve their personal bests.
Day 1 – We take a bus from Santa Cruz to Healdsburg and set out just before lunch to ride 48 Miles to Bodega Bay. A fabulous lunch is served at Rick Hofstetter's estate on the Russian River. Lodging is at Inn at the Tides in Bodega Bay. A scrumptious spread of hand crafted hors d'oeuvres and beverages are served at cocktail hour around the hot tub followed by dinner at the Tides Wharf Restaurant.
Day 2 – Get an early start (and a delicious breakfast served by our acclaimed team of road chefs) for an 88 mile ride from Bodega Bay to Pacifica. Lunch is served just after you cross the majestic Golden Gate Bridge. We stay in Pacifica Friday night and eat at Nick’s restaurant.
Day 3 – 64 Miles from Pacifica to Santa Cruz, culminating in a finish line party at the Tannery Arts Center where we join up with One Day riders for food, drink, music raffles and auctions.
And best of all, everything is included!
The ride brings together like-minded individuals committed to supporting our youth, and provides great opportunities for fun and networking. This event is a fundraiser with an all-volunteer crew. 100% of the proceeds go to the charities.
The $450 registration fee covers all rider expenses including transportation to Healdsburg, 2 nights lodging, all meals, snack stops, happy hours, sag and medical support, a commemorative ride T-shirt and admittance to the Finish Line Party.
Riders are required to fundraise an additional $650 (minimum). 100% of which goes to our designated charities. As part of the registration process, you will be guided through the creation of a personal fundraising web page that you can utilize to support your fundraising efforts.
The Sunrise Rotary Ride is limited to only 85 riders and always sells out so sign up today!